The New Exposure Unit!

Our new unit!

Tonight we were finally able to use the new exposure unit that was part of the package we won in the Ryonet Pick Me video blog contest.  The exposure unit is AMAZING! 

Every time we have tried to burn screens in the past, I have truly dreaded the process.  Kyle generally sets up the image on the screen and I did the wash out.  I sat outside for 12 1/2 minutes while he burned the image and waited to wash out the screen.  Today, things were different.  For the better!

Today, Kyle and I set up the image placement together.  We cut the board to fit the foam size to fit in the screen.  We were ready.  We took our first image and taped it on the screen.  We placed the image and screen on the lightbox, put the foam in the screen, put the board on top, then put 50 pounds of weights on top.  We set the timer to 5 minutes 15 seconds as suggested in the directions and waited. 

Five minutes and 15 seconds sure goes by a lot faster than I thought.  It seemed very quickly that the light box turned off and our image was ready for washout.  I was really happy to see the image when we took the screen to wash out.  Although our first image was pretty detailed, I was so excited to see the results!  I used some of the wash out techniques that we learned from the Ryonet training class, and it really paid off.  This is the first time that I can remember that we didn’t have any issues on the burning or washing out.  We exposed correctly and the emulsion wasn’t slimy at all!

As you can tell, I am very excited about the quality of this exposure unit and how much of a helpful upgrade this is for us.  If it wasn’t so late already, I am sure we would be printing now.  Seeing as it is over 100 degrees during the day still here is Las Vegas, we wait until late evening to work on our screen printing.  I am looking forward to showing everyone our first set of printed shirts this weekend.  What a great experience today was!