Photos today

Today we are working on some photos that Ryonet requested.  As we won the first www.ryonetblog.com Pick Me Contest, Ryonet is doing an article on our company and the continued success of our business.  As we’ve looked back over the past year, a lot has changed for us and we have learned a great deal.  We are thankful to everyone at Ryonet.  Over the next couple of weeks we will highlight some of our successes, some trials and tribulations, and tell you our favorite moments from the last year!

Fun Stuff

The fun part of printing is doing stuff for ourselves or just for fun.  Kyle graduated from college on June 4, 2011 so we made koozies for the get together we had that night.  You can see we incorporated the  University of Phoenix logo with his graduation date.  Koozies are always a big hit in our house but this was an easy party favor for our friends.  We like www.discountkoozies.com for our koozie purchases.  Congrats Kyle!

Ahhh…The smell of emulsion in the morning!

As I discussed before, I am taking over more of the business.  One of the thorns in my side has been emulsion application.  So we needed screens coated but Kyle was working on other things and this means that I needed to figure this emulsion thing out!   Before I could coat the screens, I had to mix the emulsion first.  We use DXP Diazo-Photopolymer Dual Cure Direct Emulsion from www.silkscreeningsupplies.com.  This emulsion we are comfortable with and know how to expose really well.  The emulsion is easy to mix needing just a small amount of distilled water that is added to the sensitizer powder that comes with the emulsion. After the water is added to the powder, just pour the newly formed liquid into the emulsion container.  MIX WELL!  After the emulsion and sensitizer are well mixed, leave the emulsion with the lid off just slightly to settle.  This allows time for the air bubbles to rise to the surface for a smoother emulsion.  All of this mixing and settling needs to be done in a light sensitive emvironment.

After a couple of hours, I returned to coat the screens.  The coating process is normally what Kyle does.  He is just better at it.  But this was the day that I needed to get screens done so I had to figure this all out.  I poured the emulsion into the scoop coater and had 6 screens all ready to go.  My biggest flaw is not getting the emulsion on smooth, but this day I did pretty well!  I have watched Kyle coat a lot of screens and asked a bunch of questions.  It must have all paid off because I only had one of the six that had a few streaks.  I was pleased. 

My next part of this process is to learn more about planning our jobs with the emulsion and mesh sizes we use.  In other words, all the screens we do now are just 1 coat on each side.  But as I get more jobs, I need to plan if I am printing with white or other color inks so I can make a better stencil.